What's Bubbling in the Stew?
"The only thing that is ever foolish about a dream is not to act on it."
- Pat Croce

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Rue the Resolution

I read somewhere that it takes 7 times to repeat an activity to create a new habit. Whether that's true I don't know, but it could explain why even the worst songs they play in heavy rotation on the radio still end up stuck in my head. But I digress...
Anyway, we're on day 5 of the new year, about the time those big resolutions made at the dawn of 2011 start to fizzle.  Maybe it's because we haven't quite made it to the magical 7th repetition when all the new things we set out to do become rote. Or more likely, we set the bar way too daggone high at 12:01.  What is it about a new year that makes us believe we can completely reinvent ourselves every time the ball drops?  This year I'm going to lose 1000 pounds/buy a sports team/build my own island.  Why make such big promises we can't keep?
I'm not completely against making resolutions. There's nothing wrong with pursuing a better life for ourselves.  But instead of these enormous, never-ending pledges that loom over our heads for 365 days, why not break them into smaller, more attainable goals?  Simple tasks that have a definite beginning, middle, and end.  For example, in lieu of saying "I'm going to lose 1000 pounds," we shoot for 10 pounds a month. Ten is a lot more reachable than a thousand.  So, my new year's resolution a long time ago was to never again make another resolution.  Instead, I make goals - basic weekly or monthly tasks - that I can complete.  And every time I check something off of my list, I feel like I've done something, which makes me wonder how much more I can accomplish.  Which leads to me setting more goals, and eventually feeling like I didn't waste 365 days of my life I can't get back.  And ultimately, isn't that what it's all about?

2 comments:

Alicia said...

As a new follower I figured I'd add something. It takes 28 days for something new to become a habit.

by Agent311 said...

interesting. Maybe 7 times occur in 28 days? You're a researcher, look that up and post a link ;)