What's Bubbling in the Stew?
"The only thing that is ever foolish about a dream is not to act on it."
- Pat Croce

Monday, January 17, 2011

Real Talk

I went to see a good friend of mine yesterday, and happened to show up right when Baby Bearing Bimbos of Boston or whatever reality show she was into came on.  I'd never seen it, so I watched it with her to find out what all of the hype is about.  Honestly, I still don't know.  All they did was yell and argue and throw stuff; there was bad makeup, bad clothes, bad hair, and someone got lipo.  I couldn't figure out the draw.  What attracts people to these shows?  It can't be the fact that it's reality, because I don't know anyone with that much money or that many problems.  So I was pretty intrigued by a theory one of my coworkers had about the whole thing.  His logic is we need reality TV as a barometer to show us the limits of crazy, then we can judge ourselves accordingly.  For example, someone could see Hoarders and think, "I may be a stalker, but at least I don't hoard rats.  That would just be nuts."  And then feel better about themselves. Then he went on to say that not only does reality TV make us view ourselves differently, but it's a form of economic stimulus.  If it weren't for people who hoard rats, psychologists/psychiatrists/organizers, trash collectors, TV camera crew, people that make hazmat suits, and the shelters who are adopting out the rats would all be unemployed.   I suppose, in a way, he's right.  So the next time I see Florida Coast, Bimbos of Boston, or Housewives of Harlem, I'll think twice about changing the show.  Then I'll change it anyway.

I wrote a previous post on this awhile ago.  Check that one out here

No comments: