What's Bubbling in the Stew?
"The only thing that is ever foolish about a dream is not to act on it."
- Pat Croce

Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Make-Do Woman

I was sent this email a few years ago, and liked it so much I printed it out and put it on my fridge as a reminder of what I never wanted to become. However, in the act of living, I devolved into the Queen of making-do. My paychecks go directly to the bills, the house, and the kids in that order. I go years without new boots or new clothes, choosing to hot glue soles on heels instead of spending some of the gas money on a good pair of shoes. I would even feel guilty every time I bought something new if I couldn't justify it. Why do I need another coat? This one has held up since '92! The saddest part (other than my 10 year old coat or glued shoes) is a lot of women live just like me, never splurging on themselves or doing anything other than keep going. The logic isn't we deserve the things we want and should give ourselves tokens of appreciation for all the hard work we do. Instead we have this ridiculous belief that getting a pedi or taking a few hours away from the 24/7 time-consuming business of life is selfish. We should embrace our alone time, treat ourselves, and enjoy living! My print out of that email has long vanished from my refrigerator. I may reprint this link to remind myself that my health and my sanity are more than worth it.

If you haven't heard of the make-do woman, check out the link.
http://www.drirene.com/makedo_women.htm
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

No comments: