What's Bubbling in the Stew?
"The only thing that is ever foolish about a dream is not to act on it."
- Pat Croce

Monday, January 24, 2011

Get Happy

Well it's Monday, which around here means everyone's just read the sucka attack emails from last week and is annoyed anew for this week. And while I used to be the first to wallow and wail about whatever injustice my job had thrown upon us, I don't do that anymore. Instead of instantly being irked by the powers that be, I learned to let go. You see, I've been through the gamut of grieving - denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and finally acceptance in the past 7 years. It wasn't until a year or two ago when it finally dawned on me my job wasn't the problem. I was. I kept letting them steal my joy, kept allowing them to take away the power I had to change my circumstances. I was miserable because on some twisted level, I wanted to be. It's an abusive situation; your self esteem is withered away until you think you are the problem, and while you realize what they're doing is wrong, you don't believe you have the ability to change it. Once I acknowledged that I was allowing them to break me down, I began to build myself back up. I stopped beating myself up. I started networking and putting my name out there. I began laughing at things that used to annoy me. And while I can't stop all of the stress working brings, I decided I would take work for what it is. It's a job. A means to an end. I can't change my coworkers, my bosses, or the economy. I can, however, change my actions and reactions, my circumstances, my quality of life. Don't wait for external forces to make you happy...you'll be waiting the rest of your life. Happiness comes from within. And once you move past all of the extraneous bs weighing you down, you will flourish knowing those were just stepping stones on your journey. So, be happy. You deserve it!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

No comments: