What's Bubbling in the Stew?
"The only thing that is ever foolish about a dream is not to act on it."
- Pat Croce

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Bad American!

I am a bad American. Of all the presidential addresses in the past 30+ years I've been on Earth, I can honestly say I can count the number I've voluntarily sat through on one hand. The number gets considerably smaller when I count the ones I can recall. I know as an adult, a voter, a taxpayer, a parent, and an American citizen, I should recall every word uttered by the President, no matter who is in charge. Whether they be Democrat, Republican, Independent, Whig, or other, I should hang on every word about what is going on in my country. But, I don't. I see the hour and a half block of time allotment on the guide and instantly scroll to see what else is on. President Obama is funny, engaging, witty, and smart, but something about watching anyone talk for 90 minutes is an instant turn off. Don't get me wrong, I read the transcripts and remain informed. I just don't like the format. Maybe if people were throwing shoes or he had some nice powerpoint slides or something, it could hold my interest. Which is really sad, considering I'll spend an hour each week watching anorexic girls cry while they struggle with smizing, but can't tune into a one-time important announcement from the leader of the free world. So, now that I've acknowledged I'm bad, I can try harder to be good. I'm watching the address as I write this, listening and contemplating, being an informed citizen of the US. I may even remember something about it tomorrow.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

No comments: