What's Bubbling in the Stew?
"The only thing that is ever foolish about a dream is not to act on it."
- Pat Croce

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Roy

CBS Sunday Morning did a piece today on Roy Lichtenstein that caught my eye. For those who aren't really into the artsy fartsy, Roy created some of the most instantly recognizable art of the 20th century, stylizing subjects that seem mundane into art. You've probably seem his work and haven't realized it - a mural in the subway under New York's 42nd street; an installation in the Columbus and Miami airports; countless tv and print ads using his images. To me, the intriguing part was his subjects were usually simple, everyday things that interested him. His joy was creating the art, and whether it was a political event or a woman removing toenail polish, it became a canvas, done in his signature style. And now, his pieces sell for millions, bought by people who appreciate his artistic view. It's his story that buoys me, motivating me to continue my blog. My blogs aren't hard hitting commentaries or deep reflective queries into the mysteries of life. They're just things on my mind at the time I decided to jot it down. I doubt if I'll win any prizes or get millions of people clamoring to see what I have to say next, but someone, somewhere appreciates the fact that I blog and enjoy it. And, like Roy, for me that's enough.

If you're not familiar with Roy's work, here's a link to his foundation:
http://www.lichtensteinfoundation.org/
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

No comments: