What's Bubbling in the Stew?
"The only thing that is ever foolish about a dream is not to act on it."
- Pat Croce

Sunday, February 20, 2011

That's it, she's DEAD

I was watching an episode of Martin today. It was the one where Gina had to prepare an important presentation for work while caring for sick Martin. She had the option of letting his mother take care of him, but didn't want anyone to think she valued her career over her man. My friend brought up a similar subject the other day when she mentioned a woman's guilt over having to hire a nanny. Both of these incidents got me thinking: when did regular women turn into Superwomen? It seems like the happy homemaker ideal would have died with women's lib. But instead of trading in pots and pans for briefcases and businesses, they just got tacked on to the unreasonable list of things women are expected to do. A typical day for most women I know consists of going to a job or school, caring for children, cooking, cleaning, running errands, and finding time for her significant other. And all that is on top of any personal stuff she needs to take care of. These are the lives we chose. While we don't regret our choices, we don't have to do it all nor should we feel guilty about asking for help. I stand proud saying I'm not Superwoman and I don't want to be. Matter of fact, I have my Superwoman trapped in my trunk and I just bought some rope, gasoline, and a box of matches. I'm going to take her out once and for all. What are you going to do with yours?
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

No comments: