What's Bubbling in the Stew?
"The only thing that is ever foolish about a dream is not to act on it."
- Pat Croce

Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Little Things


Simple as a phone call just to make it known that you're gonna be a little late/
pure as a kiss on the cheek and a word that everything will be ok/
call in the morning from my little sister singing to me happy birthday/
in the quest for fortune and fame, don't forget about the little things
India Arie's song "Little Things" puts it perfectly.  I think we can all appreciate how the little things can completely change our perspective.  A concert ticket, a smile, an hour of quality time with someone you love.  These things are minimal, but mean the world to us because of what they represent.  It's easy to lose sight of the brighter side of life when we're bombarded by gloom and doom on a daily basis.  Between wars, joblessness, money woes, hatred, murders, natural disasters, etc. it's a wonder we don't all go jumping off bridges.  When we find ourselves inundated with nothing but the bad and the ugly, good seems virtually non-esistent.  This is when we need the little things to remind us of why we keep living, why we keep going.  I read an email a while back about a young kid who was ready to commit suicide until he received a random act of kindness that renewed his faith in God, humanity, and himself.  It may have been a chain letter, but the point of it is true.  Once upon a time, I was that person wallowing in depression and confusion, seriously doubting anyone cared about me or would care if I was gone.  And it was when I was deepest in that internal abyss someone I least expected came along and made a gesture showing yes, someone does care about me.  Yes, life is worth living.  Yes, things can and will get better.  It's been a very long time since my last bout of depression, probably because I take time to focus on the little things.  Just saying "hey" can change someone's whole outlook around.  So while we're grinding, hustling, making money moves, making dollars out of fifteen cents, remember to dedicate a few moments to the little things.  It can make a world of difference.

No comments: