What's Bubbling in the Stew?
"The only thing that is ever foolish about a dream is not to act on it."
- Pat Croce

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Dewey, Screwem, and Howe

Why is it everyone wants something for nothing?  My mom put it perfectly when she quipped, "people want Saks Fifth Avenue merchandise for Goodwill prices."  There's nothing wrong with wanting the best value for your money.  Anyone who knows me knows I stay up on sales and keep my coupon book in my purse.  The difference between catching a sale and what I'm talking about is when you hit a sale, you pay the sale price and feel good about it.  When you want something for nothing, you acknowledge what you want is worth more, but for some strange reason, you feel YOU deserve a discount.  Why is that?  Why do people think that just because we're cool, or because I work with you, or because your cousin's best friend's husband went to school with my little brother's ex-girlfriend's friend that they should get a discount?  If you went to Macy's you wouldn't nickel and dime the sales clerk.  So why do that to someone who is providing a service for you?  I think people have this misconception that their business is your ONLY business.  So while you're doing a favor for a 4x removed friend in addition to everything else you've got going on, they're constantly trying to figure out how they can annoy, harass, and cheat you out of what you're already doing for damn near free.  I've seen people come up with every excuse in the book to keep from paying what they owe, i.e. finding phantom flaws in your work; claiming the amount isn't what you agreed on; having mysterious emergencies conveniently arise when it comes time for payday; and finally just outright saying they don't have it and can they give you what they've got.  Again I have to ask, do you do that at the counter at Macy's?  Let's examine this scenario.  I go to Macy's to cop a pair of boots.  When I get through the line, I find a faint scuff in the boots and point it out to the clerk.  Then I tell her the sale price written on the boots isn't the price I want to pay.  Then I say my kid is sick and I have to pay the doctor bill.  And I offer her $20 for the pair of $100 boots I have in my hand.  If this scenario sounds familiar to your typical Macy's run, that's fine.  Do you.  At least I'd understand this is how you are and not take it personally.  But let's say you're in line behind me and you're witnessing me going through all these motions.  You'll have another question.  Why did I bring my broke behind in the store in the first place?  This is the same question I pose to you.  If you are one of these people who nickel and dime and try to get something for nothing, please take it elsewhere.  I have no time to deal with you trying to screw me over.  There are people waiting to pay full price for what you won't.

No comments: