What's Bubbling in the Stew?
"The only thing that is ever foolish about a dream is not to act on it."
- Pat Croce

Thursday, February 24, 2011

It’s Baaaack!

I had some technical difficulties last night, so here's yesterday's post.


It caught me by surprise when I saw that America's Next Top Model’s newest cycle started tonight.  My usual routine came to a screeching halt to check out this year's crop of questionably anorexic, always dramatic aspiring models.  This season looks pretty promising, with a change of format that eliminates the melodrama of casting and goes straight into the show.  In honor of Cycle 16, the models were welcomed to their L.A. home by Tyra’s 16 year-old face plastered on the walls.  The first challenge, walking inside a clear plastic bubble on a 12" runway submerged in water, proved to be hilarious when two girls fell off and had to flail their way back to dry land.  One or two of the remaining hopefuls able to stay on the foot-wide contraption had decent walks distinguishing them from the rest.  All of their names will be lost to me; their faces will stay in my memory when I see them on a commercial or magazine.

This season is a far cry from the Top Model I swore off a few years ago.  I don’t remember the cycle, but it culminated in “Miss Jay’s” shoulder pads growing until he looked a linebacker by the final episode.  The CW must have told Tyra she had one shot to keep her show from the TV graveyard.  She definitely took it; revitalizing the format with new judges and less cheesy gimmicks.  It’s worth watching now.  I can’t wait to see what craziness they have in store for these women next week.

No comments: