What's Bubbling in the Stew?
"The only thing that is ever foolish about a dream is not to act on it."
- Pat Croce

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Profile of a Stalker

Maybe it's because Valentine's is in a few days, but I've become acutely aware of the stalker-esque lyrics in love songs.  It didn't hit me until earlier today when Pandora started playing a mix of some '90s and '00s classics.  Monica's "So Gone", Mariah Carey's "We Belong Together", and then the newer hits by Rihanna & Eminem and J. Holiday...all sound like Stalkers Gone Wild.  Listen to some of the lines: I can't sleep, can't eat, I suffocate when you're away from me; I'm driving past his house every night in an unmarked car; when you left I lost a part of me; I'm gonna burn the bed if you try to leave me.  Ummm, these are LOVE songs?  I know love is about giving all of yourself and really pouring your all into the relationship, but once you've crossed the line from thinking about me to driving past my house in an unmarked car, you've officially become a stalker.  I'm about 3 seconds from dialing 9-1 and then waiting to hit the last 1 if I see your unmarked car again.  And nothing says lovin' like pouring gas on a bed and watching me burn.  Mmmmmhmmm.  That's good loving right there.  All of these love songs might as well be written by Charles Manson or Ike Turner.  I'm not saying they're not good songs - I know the words, I like the melodies, I sing along.  But there's something morbid about loving me so much you want to crawl in my skin and be me that doesn't sit well.  It's rather creepy.  If you want to show your affection, buy some flowers, treat me to dinner, revive me if I pass out.  Don't suffocate if I'm suffocating.  Don't follow me around in unmarked cars.  Don't strap me to my bed and burn me alive to show how much you care about me.  If that's your idea of love, I'll just call you Ike.  "Don't die on me Ann...Anna Mae, if you die, I'll kill ya.  Hear me b**ch?  If you die, I'll kill ya."  Now that's some love for your ass. 

Never heard of these songs or noticed the lyrics? See below for the youtube vids:
Monica's So Gone
Mariah Carey's We Belong Together
Rihanna & Eminem's Love the Way You Lie
J. Holiday's Suffocate

and if you don't already use it, check out http://www.pandora.com/

3 comments:

by Agent311 said...

My goodness that took a lot of work!

Alicia said...

Every breath you take
Every move you make
Every bond you break
Every step you take
I'll be watching you

One of personal favorites. Sting was the king of the stalking song!!
Great posts agent311!! I'll be reading you! :)

Kim said...

Wow... Did you write this one for me? LOL.