What's Bubbling in the Stew?
"The only thing that is ever foolish about a dream is not to act on it."
- Pat Croce

Sunday, April 10, 2011

How To Braid Hair

A lot of my friends and family ask me to show them how to braid hair, so I thought it would be good to show everyone at once. I made this video this morning to demonstrate a simple cornrow technique. The audio quality is low, so I will post step by step instructions also.

1. Wash and blow dry the hair. I like to use a leave in conditioner as well to make it easier to comb while I'm drying it. I use Parnevu or Mane and Tail leave in.
2. Have a moisturizer and/or a light grease on hand to grease the scalp and make the hair easier to work with. I use both - the moisturizer is actually a product my friend gave me that's made locally; it's a clear spray that works as a detangler. I like to use Magic gro help grease or another hemp-based product.
3. Using a comb with both large and small spaces between the teeth, start to comb out the hair. Moisturize with the spray, then use the large tooth comb to get out the initial tangles.
4. Part the hair and apply grease on the scalp along the part. Secure the hair not being used away from the part with alligator clips. Using the small tooth side of the comb, comb out the remaining tangles in the section of hair you are braiding.
5. Grab a small section of hair with one hand. Hold it between your index ring and pinky fingers. This will be piece a.
6. Using your other hand, grab 2 more sections of hair. Place one section between your index and thumb. This is piece b. Place the other between your middle and ring fingers. This is piece c.
7. Grab piece b with the index and thumb on the opposite hand. Pull piece a underneath piece b.
8. Using the opposite hand, pull piece c under piece b. You will see the criss cross braid shape start to form.
9. Repeat until the braid takes shape, grabbing more hair as you move down the braid.

It's a lot easier to see in the video, but I was moving a lot faster than I thought, so hopefully you can see it. It takes practice, but once you get the technique down, you'll be braiding like a pro. Good luck!

Check out the Video on Qik

quick disclaimer...that was my first vid I've ever posted.  I'll have to find a way to rotate it. LOL
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

No comments: