What's Bubbling in the Stew?
"The only thing that is ever foolish about a dream is not to act on it."
- Pat Croce

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Extreme Couponing

I love a discount as much as, if not more than, the next person. There's a thrill I get from turning in my coupons and watching extra dollars fall off my transaction. I thought I was a decent Couponer, but after watching this show, I'm nowhere near the ranks of these people. The episode I saw last night focused on two women - different families, different parts of the country, but with the same love and passion for their coupons. These ladies spent 35+ hours a week collecting, sorting, categorizing, mapping the store, drawing up a game plan, and then finally shopping. They were the super bowl coaches of the supermarket. They hauled around 3 or 4 shopping carts, cleared out aisles, disabled check out lines with their thousands of dollars worth of groceries, and ended up with 90% or more in discounts. It was impressive, until you look at what they bought. Over 100 bottles of ketchup and mustard, 93 bags of croutons, 54 bottles of laundry detergent, 115 containers of pm headache medicine. Where is the meat? The produce? The unprocessed, unboxed food? What good is saving money if I'm buying tons of crap I don't need? To their defense, they donate some of their bounty to food pantries and various family members. But really, is my love of a good deal deep enough to have to set up my own warehouse in the basement? No. No, it's not. I'll stick with using my coupons for the things I need and leave the extreme couponing to the pros.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

No comments: