What's Bubbling in the Stew?
"The only thing that is ever foolish about a dream is not to act on it."
- Pat Croce

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Breaking the Fast

Happy Easter!  Today marks the official end of my forty day social networking fast.  It was tough at first, mainly because I didn't realize how attached I'd gotten to instant messaging.  Once I got going, it wasn't too bad, but I did have my moments when I felt like relapsing.  I was able to resist temptation though, and I feel like I am better because of it.  Some things I learned during my stint away from social sites:


  1. Focus.  I used to lie to myself and say I could "multi-task" with whatever I was doing and IM.  I realized without the constant distraction of random conversation, I was so much more productive.  My goal going forward is to minimize my IM time and concentrate on one thing at a time.
  2. There's a difference between a "break" and a distraction.  Like I said in #1, I would multi-task with IM.  Problem was, I didn't realize I was taking a break.  Now I realize the difference.  So if I'm on IM now, it'll be to take a true break.
  3. Pulling away is okay.  The world keeps spinning.  I'm not missing out on anything by not being on Facebook, Twitter, IM, or anything else.  If people need me, they know my number, how to text me, email me, or heaven forbid, stop by.  I'll be ok.
  4. I was on too daggone much.  I inadvertently cut off my friends' messaging when I went on hiatus.  You know why?  They love me, yes, but  I was one of the only people they could depend on to always be online.  That was a problem.  So I've been able to reconnect with them on a more personal level and leave the IM behind.
So...I think my fast was successful, at least from my perspective.  We'll see what happens in the long run.

1 comment:

Rhasha'sRandomRantings said...

The most I could go was one week. My family loses it when they cant find me and God forbit they call me and actually TALK!