What's Bubbling in the Stew?
"The only thing that is ever foolish about a dream is not to act on it."
- Pat Croce

Friday, March 4, 2011

Ledisi! Musiq! Kem! Me!

If you've been keeping up with my blog, you know I decided to treat myself with concert tickets to Kem's Intimacy tour.  If I had to sum it up in one word: Amazing.  Fantastic.  Entertaining.  Awesome.  Since I clearly can't use just one word, I decided to write a blog review.

Act 1:  Ledisi
The stage was set up for a full band: drums, keyboards, horns, etc.  And right in front, center stage, sat three lonely stools.  They'd dimmed the lights a bit, just enough to signal the opening act was starting.  Ledisi walked onstage with her whole band for the night: one background singer and one guitarist.  The three of them perched on those stools and proceeded to tear the show up.  Believe me when I say that woman can sing.  Not just sing, SANG (said with an old southern twang).  She needed no band.  I think the guitar player was there as decoration.  Her voice and melodic range should make every "singer" out now want to run and get lessons.  Her scats made Ms. Ella Fitzgerald proud; her tone and quality made me want to burn the Autotune and slap the person who made it.  She sounded better live than on her albums.  Now how many of today's artists can you say that about?  I can go on and on and on, but I only have so much room.

Act 2:  Musiq
Musiq Soulchild.  The catalyst for me buying the tickets.  I have all of his albums; I couldn't wait to see him live.  I should have.  He wasn't bad, but maybe since he came behind Ledisi, he just didn't move me.  He had a full band and played my favorites.  I sang along, but he did more riffing and running and screaming than he did singing.  His act provided the awkward moment of the night when he announced his band and let them play a short set while he disappeared offstage.  Maybe he had to pee or something, but it was odd.  Whatever the respite was, he was back in about 2 minutes so it didn't detract from his show too much.  Other than that, his backup singer that sang the female lead in a song first done by Mary J. Blige was unimpressive.  For his last song he did the single off his new album - that one was hot.  Maybe he should've stuck with the new songs instead of trying to solicit all the audience participation.  I love an interactive concert, but I came to hear YOU sing.  I can sing your stuff for free at home.  And this brings me to...

Act 3: Kem
I'll preface this by saying I'm not a Kem fan.  I don't have his albums, I've only heard his songs on the radio, and while his music is nice, it's not really my thing.  Knowing this was Kem's tour, the only reason I decided to go was because of Ledisi and Musiq.  I learned last night why he was the headliner.  He put on one hell of a show.  His set was filled with music from his whole repertoire, many of them from the new album he apparently has out that I haven't heard.  He sang his little heart out, counseled the crowd, had church onstage, and then did an encore when it was time for him to go.  All in all a very entertaining performer.  And to put the cherry on top, Ledisi came back out for a duet.  It was awesome.  But I think I said that already, didn't I?

As performances go, I'd rank them in this order:

  1. Ledisi 
  2. Kem
  3. Musiq
If the tour is coming to a city near you, get tickets!  If you have to sell blood, hustle your stuff on Craigslist, take up a collection from your friends, or work overtime, it is SO worth it to go to this concert.    If you're not sure where they'll be next, check out the links below.

No comments: