What's Bubbling in the Stew?
"The only thing that is ever foolish about a dream is not to act on it."
- Pat Croce

Monday, May 9, 2011

Ghettonation

I read a book by Cora Daniels a few years ago that explored the concept of "ghetto" in American culture. I thought about it yesterday as I was watching a PBS special on Jewish concentration camps, the original ghettos. There was nothing fun, or cute, or good about the ghetto. They couldn't afford the exorbitant prices for food - people were essentially zombies, wandering in a half-dead stupor until they starved to death. And when they died, all the families could do was set the deceased on the street. Conditions were terrible, disease and starvation were as common as breathing, and if you didn't starve, you froze from a combination of threadbare clothes, no coat, and no heat. These were the images the word "ghetto" conjured up in the minds of our ancestors.

Fast forward to today, where "ghetto" is used to describe anything from an inappropriate outfit to loud car music. In the book, Ms. Daniels makes the point "ghetto" is a state of mind, a mental destitution we embraced and use as am excuse to not be better. In fact, the biggest difference between yesterday's Jewish ghettos and today's "ghetto" is theirs was forced upon them while ours is self inflicted. I'm not saying everyone who lives in the ghetto loves it and stays there of their own accord. My point is often we abandon the drive to do better because we are comfortable being ghetto. Think of something you would deem "ghetto." Now ask yourself if it could have been said or done better but wasn't because ghetto was good enough. That mentality is what the book is about. If you haven't read it, check out Ghettonation by Cora Daniels. Hopefully if we change the mentality, we change our outcomes.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

2 comments:

Alicia said...

I read this book a couple of years ago too. I really loved it. She explored so much of the mindset as opposed to the poverty which I appreciated. Becuase I'm with you, so many things could be done better...but ghetto was good enough. I could get my baby so milk, formula or whatever but instead I'm going to put "red" Kool-Aid in their bottle. Ghetto is good enough.

Rhasha'sRandomRantings said...

Dang Amber u told me about this book and I never did get it, send me yours so I wont have to buy it...unless u think thats too ghetto. j/k