What's Bubbling in the Stew?
"The only thing that is ever foolish about a dream is not to act on it."
- Pat Croce

Friday, June 10, 2011

World's Greatest

My Facebook friend Butch Gibson posted something interesting today. "What do you think is the greatest invention of your lifetime?" I read through the responses; they were varied but a lot dealt with computers and the internet. Those are great inventions (hey, I'm using one right now), but I think my response ranks right up near the top of the list. Indoor plumbing. Apparently, other people aren't as fond of having their toilets indoors as I am because I ended up in a 15 minute debate about whether indoor plumbing deserved to be considered a great invention. My friend was in favor of the transistor, which is the basis for modern day technology. Yes, I'm glad we can screen for cancer cells, and use telephones as computers, and have OnStar call us when we accidentally hit the button on the steering wheel. But even without all that, I'm happier that I can sit on my commode inside my home instead of squatting behind my bushes hoping the neighbors don't see. I'm aware outhouses don't work like that, but thankfully, I don't know exactly how they work because my bathroom is inside of my house. See what I'm getting at? I told my buddy to try this: I'd go without inventions with transistors if he would go without indoor plumbing. No showers, no washing hands, no peeing indoors, none of that. He didn't accept my challenge. And right now, as I sit in the dark from a power outage, I can blog on my transistor-assisted phone, but I could still shower and use my facilities if my battery was dead. And that is the beauty of indoor plumbing. It's tops in my book.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

No comments: