What's Bubbling in the Stew?
"The only thing that is ever foolish about a dream is not to act on it."
- Pat Croce

Friday, June 3, 2011

June 3rd, 2011

I've been falling behind on my blogs so I'll try to catch up.  I am feeling some kind of way right now...not sure how to describe the emotion.  Maybe it's easier to sum it up in one word. Old.  I feel old.  My eldest niece graduated from high school last night.  My husband and I reminisced about when she was two and loved to watch Bill Nye the Science Guy; when she got older and first got her braces; how excited she was when she got them taken off to reveal a bright and beautiful smile.  She's not the first youngster in my life to don her cap and gown and move on up to the collegiate world, but for some reason hers hit home.  Hard.  It could be because I distinctly remember her at two, running around the house, pigtails and hairballs swinging with every happy step.  This is a child I'd see often; a kid that seemed to morph into an adult overnight.  And now I look at my own children, sprouting up like weeds on Miracle Gro, and I feel so very old.  When did I grow up?  When did I become this somewhat responsible adult?  When did I lose track of time? I need time to slow down a bit.  Yes, my kids drive me nuts, but I will miss these days when they graduate and leave the nest as my niece is about to do.

No comments: